Green Wristbands

Here’s a poignant story about green wristbands and the power of our volunteers sharing their stories with their friends, loved ones and communities.  This comes to us from heart recipient Bill Carlson:

A few months ago I decided to stop and visit a friend I’ve known for a long time.  When I got there the whole family was there and the oldest boy who just graduated from high school noticed my green wrist band.  His sister commented that someone had been at their school talking about organ donation, which led to asking me questions about my heart transplant. They all wanted wristbands and were very interested in organ donation, especially the boy.  They said when they were able to they would all check the box. I thanked them and went on my way.

This morning at about 8 am my friend called.  I asked how it was going and he said, “not very well.”  His oldest son was involved in a motorcycle accident and had been airlifted to the hospital.  Thank God he was wearing a helmet.  After several hours in surgery the surgeon came out with a green wrist band in his hand; of course, they thought the worst. The doctor said that he will be OK, will need lots of rehab and also he wanted to make sure that he got his wristband back.  Dad thanked him but then the doctor thanked his son for being a supporter of organ donation, because now he will also be a recipient!!  He will need a lot of skin grafts due to his injuries from the accident.  The doctor informed them that donated skin is going to make things a lot easier for him.

I think this has really hit home about organ and tissue donation.  I told Dad that if he would like a brand new wristband I would make sure he gets one… God Speed on his recovery.

Comments:

1. tammy says:

Can you PLEASE tell me how to get the green wristbands for me and my family. I am awaiting a transplant. Thank you

2. Lisa says:

What an inspiring story. I think I need to go find my green wristband and put it back on. Thanks Bill for the reminder.

3. Darla says:

Thank you for sharing that wonderful message. Jill at Lifesource had reminded me to not only talk about organ donation but organ and “TISSUE” donation when speaking about donation. Your story reinforces that. Thanks for all you do in support of organ and tissue donation!!

4. Becky says:

Hi Tammy,

We’d love to send you some! Please forward your mailing address to Celeste Hanson at chanson@life-source.org and we’ll get some in the mail to you.

5. christie sharun says:

My dad is waiting a heart transplant and I was wanting to order some green wristbands. Where can I get them from?

Thanks
    Christie

6. Becky says:

Hi Christie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. We’d love to send you some green wristbands. Email Celeste Hanson at chanson@life-source.org with your mailing address and she’ll get them in the mail to you.

7. Jana Long says:

I would like to thank everyone that is willing to be a donor my son Andrew age 29 was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries. He is now in Heart Failure and on the Heart Transplant list. He is not activated yet we are still in the process of finishing up things to get him ready. He has a fine bunch of doctors that he is in care to here at The University of Iowa. Becky I would love to get some wristbands from you if I may say around 60 or so if that’s okay. Also I’d like to say to all those who are in need of transplant never give up hope. Andrews slogan is Make Everyday Count! Thank you. Jana Long.

8. Becky says:

Hi Jana,

Thanks for sharing about your son. We’ll keep Andrew in our thoughts and hope he is able to receive the transplant he needs.

We’d be happy to send you some wristbands! Please email Celeste at chanson@life-source.org with your mailing address.

Thanks,
    Becky

9. Judy Payne says:

Are the green wristbands available? I am a living donor having donated a kidney in Dec. 2012.

10. Becky says:

Hi Judy! Yes, we still have green wristbands available. Please contact Celeste Hanson at chanson@life-source.org or 651.603.7800. She’ll be able to help you. Thanks!

11. Jeffrey Ryan says:

Hi, I would like to share a little about my ironic story…
    When I was a freshman in college, I lost my best friend to a nasty car accident and watched as his organs were able to save countless lives because unfortunately he was so young.  Ever since then, about 10 years ago, I have been a very vocal advocate for donating your organs whether it be for use in saving lives or for furthering research and development in new scientific techniques.  Two years ago, my life took a very drastic turn.  Apparently, I was not blessed with very strong organs.  It all began with some real bad stomach pains at work and long story short, I am in end stage renal failure and liver failure.  I have been on dialysis for the last two years and have slowly been recovering. I have been feeling better as of late, but it looks like if I don’t want to spend the majority of the rest of my life attached to machines, I will need at least a liver and one kidney.
    So, I am young and I would love to continue my personal crusade to get people to donate their organs, especially now that I am fighting for a cause so near and dear to me. My mother and sister are my absolute heroes for what they have done to help me with all my many needs.  Unfortunately, they can only do that, as they are not close enough matches to donate for me. I would like to know what I can do on my own and if you could maybe help me out with some information that I can use to spread the word about donating and would absolutely love a few green bracelets for my family and myself!!!!
    P.S. I love hearing about all your wonderful stories….keep on sharing!!

12. Teresa Congdon says:

My very close friend is awaiting a heart transplant would love to give her family the green wrist bands Can you tell me where to get them.

13. Rachel says:

Hi Teresa! We would be happy to send you some wristbands. Please contact Celeste Hanson at chanson@life-source.org or 651.603.7800. She’ll be able to help you. Thanks!